Followers

Sunday, February 4, 2018

Textured Canvass

 International Art & Soul, a challenge which has been put together to incorporate any type of craft, paper, wood, flowers, recycling, glass - the world is your oyster :).  Come on over an join us with you artwork :)

Challenge #26
TEXTURE


This fortnights theme has been chosen by Hazel :).  I love the theme of this challenge but it seems my crafting mojo has gone on vacation grrrrrrr.  I spent 2 days making a card for this challenge, a struggle and a half and although the end result was OK I was not a very happy bunny. Time to try something totally different.  I have wanted to have a go at mixed media on canvass for a long time but have not got round to it until now, yes, it seemed the perfect time to try to inspire myself.  My daughter loves owls and it is her birthday in a few days so this 30cm x 30cm canvass is for her to hang in her bedroom.  Now I have to cross all my fingers and toes and hope she likes it.

I used Gesso on the canvas first as it was just a cheapie and I was not sure if it had been primed or not.  Next was the texture paste and a stencil by Sheena Douglas available from Crafters Companion.  When all that was dry I attacked the canvas with acrylic paint, a mixture of turquoise and pearl white.  I then die cut the text twice onto thick card and stuck the letters together, these were then added to the canvas.  Next was the owl, again die cut and I embossed the components, after all this is a texture challenge.  Lace was added to the wings to give the impression of a second layer of feathers.  I used shells for the claws and some small flower beads above the beak.  Pretty chuffed with the way he turned out or maybe it is a she as there is a fair bit of pink going on there hahaha.  Feather metal charms, small metal dimensional bead holders along with three metal double hearts, two chipboard hearts and a chipboard owl were also added. To finish off I added some flower soft and then painted over all these components with left over bits of paint I had and my finger lol.


Challenges entered:-

6 comments:

  1. I love doing canvases too but haven't done one since I moved! You've made a great job of this one and I'm sure your daughter will love it. The colour is lovely too. Hazel x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish you could see me right now I am just so excited to see your art work ! Of course you know I love owls this one is fantastic ! I especially love the eyelids that looks really cool ! You hit this theme right on the head !

    Hugs,

    Chriss

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh! This canvas is fantastic ! I love all of it ! I particularly like how you use lace for the wings and the shells for the claws just tickles me!

    Hugs,
    Chriss

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute cards. Thanks for joining us at Through the Purple Haze.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my this is just adorable, love the textured background and all the little embellishing you've done. Thanks for joining us over at http://creativeartistemixedmedia.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow such a stunning creation. I love the owl. Thank you for joining us at Through the Purple Haze challenge. DT An'Jenic

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it means a great deal to me. Hoping you have happy crafting days ahead. Hugs Mimi