Followers

Sunday, February 5, 2017

Love is in the Air


Today is an exciting day with the launch of the new challenge blog - International Art & Soul, a challenge which has been put together to incorporate any type of craft, paper, wood, flowers, recycling, glass - the world is your oyster :).

Challenge #1 - Love is in the Air

For my first design team creation for this new challenge I have decided to do a bit of pyrography.  My youngest daughter was married on January 4th of this year and this was a wee personal gift from me to her and her partner.  My daughter was born in Kenya and we lived on the slopes of Mt. Kenya.  Hubby and I recently returned to Kenya for a holiday and I thought it would be rather nice if I could find a piece of wood from 'home' and make it into a wall plaque for Nicole and Meesh.  It was only a few days before we were due to fly home that I found the perfect piece of wood - cut from an old cedar fence post.  You are not allowed to cut the cedar trees on Mt. Kenya now as they are protected but this old fence post was cut some 60 years ago, well seasoned and legal.  Thank you so much Anne from Suyian Soul for letting me raid you wood pile :) :) :) This piece of wood along with two similar pieces were put into my suitcase and boy were they heavy hahaha and brought home where I burned the saying into the wood, added names and dates and varnished.  The plaque then had hooks and chain added ready for hanging but I needed to get a photo taken before this was done as time was short.  My daughter was in tears when she saw it the day before her civil partnership to Meesh and her only words spoken as she caressed it was 'A bit of home' :) :) that is the exact reaction I so wished for so you can imagine how I felt inside.  Both my daughter and her partner are in the British Army and, Meesh is a medic and travelled a fair bit on exercise etc. It turns out she has been to Nanyuki, Kenya (on the slopes of Mt. Kenya, and where we lived) twice and was on exercise on the neighbouring ranch to Suyian Soul where this piece of cedar wood came from.  How cool is that, the plaque has meaning for both of them, both knowing where it came from, both having walked the same land even though it was years apart :) :) :).  So as you can see, this plaque really is a 'Love in in the Air' creation and I hope you like it.

To make the plaque I first created my design on Illustrator taking into account the placement of the holes and markings in the wood.  I then printed my design on tracing paper and transferred it to the wood.  It was then out with my pyrography tools to do the wood burning and to finish off a couple of coats of varnish.


I also made three wedding cards for Nicole and Meesh, one from hubby and I, another for my mother to give them and one for Nicole's eldest sister to give.  The wedding theme colour was navy blue with orange flowers so this colour scheme was carried through with the cards.

Card from hubby and me
Card from my Mum
Card from Natasha, Nicole's eldest sister.  I saw this idea on the net and thought it was perfect but for the life of me I don't know the source - sorry.

Challenges entered:-

19 comments:

  1. Your 'piece of wood' is so much more and I loved the story of Mt Kenya. A beautiful reminder for them both. Hazel x

    ReplyDelete
  2. WoWza !! That is really amazing and what gorgeous grain on the wood. The cards are fabulous. I am so pleased for them and I wish them a very happy new life together :-D Congrats. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. All designs are fabulous! Thanks so much for playing in our ‘HEARTS’ challenge at Dies R Us! Please come back again soon!

    Darlene (DRU Blog Leader)
    DIES R US CHALLENGE BLOG
    DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS Please come for a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a meaningful project for you all and a beautiful recycle. Thanks for joining us at the Crafters Café, CarolG

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! What a wonderful story. I had tears in my eyes as I read through it. Your creations are all so beautiful and sounds like will be well loved. Thanks for getting our group back together again and inviting me back. Hugs, Maggie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Maggie :) thank you gorgeous for coming back, we have always been such a fabulous group of crafters together, truly like a family and thank you too for the lovely words for my creations, these one really were made with love and from my heart :) :) : ) xxxxx

      Delete
  6. What a beautiful memento, I'm sure they loved it. Your card is beautiful with the hearts and flowers! Great take on the challenge, thanks so much for playing along with us this week over at Mod Squad.
    Judy~ Challenge Host

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous Card. Love your die cuts and the bow is perfect. Nice work.

    Thank you for sharing with us over here at "A Perfect Time To Craft" and best of luck with your entry.

    Annette DT for http://aperfecttimetocraft.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, you've put a lot of effort in here. I love the wall plaque, great work. Thank-you for joining us at the Crafting with an Attitude Challenge 'Anything Goes' February 2017.
    Nicola DT Amethyst Lily Designs

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful wooden project, looks amazing. Thanks for joining us at The Crafter's Cafe this fortnight for our "Recycle" challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful cards, great job! Thank you for participating in our challenge from Dies R Us!
    Barbara
    Dies R Us Challenge Blog DT
    http://carterie-creative.blogspot.fr

    ReplyDelete
  11. Some gorgeous cards here - love the variety of styles,

    Hugz Tinz

    ReplyDelete
  12. A fabulous wall plaque and a wonderful personal gift.
    Thank you for joining in with the Crafts Galore Encore February Challenge “Anything Goes”. Good luck x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just beautiful. Something to be treasured forever! Thank-you for joining us at the Crafts Galore Encore Anything Goes Challenge
    Good luck
    DT Lynda x

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely story and fabulous keepsake for Nicole and Michelle. I'm sure they will treasure it always. Beautiful cards, too. Thanks so much for sharing with us at The East Wind. xxD

    ReplyDelete
  15. What great projects! Love the wood burning. Thanks for playing with us at The Crafter's Cafe Challenge blog!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful makes! Thank you for sharing with us over here at "A Perfect Time To Craft" and best of luck with your entry.

    Mary DT for http://aperfecttimetocraft.blogspot.com.au/...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! What a keepsake. Thank you for sharing with us at Simply Create Too - Myrna DT

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely cards. Thanks for sharing at Simply Create Too and hope to see you again. Good luck.

    - Khushboo Gandhi, DT

    My blog: http://snowflakesandlilies.blogspot.in

    Inspiration Destination, DT
    Craft Your Passion, DT
    Crafting With An Attitude, DT
    Scrapping 4 Fun Challenges, DT
    Simply Create Too, DT
    Get Creative, DT
    Angie’s Digital Stamps, DT
    A Bit More Time To Craft, DT

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it means a great deal to me. Hoping you have happy crafting days ahead. Hugs Mimi